A warehouse is a place that stores almost everything, whether it is clothing, food, furniture or electronics. It is diverse and can range from a small room in the back of a business to a thousand square foot area.
Regardless of the number of workers working in a warehouse, some equipment is essential for performing operations. People working in the warehouse use a variety of equipment such as machines and tools in various processing areas. But as the functionality and size of different warehouse buildings vary, the type of equipment that is needed for smooth operation may differ as well.
Choosing the right equipment for the warehouse not only ease the transfer of goods but also reduce the chances of injuries and product damage. The right equipment can complement human effort to improve the performance and productivity of the warehouse. The right materials handling equipment prevents your worthy employees from struggling to carry heavy boxes within your warehouse. Thus, it is crucial to select the right equipment that can help in saving time, cost as well as effort.
Now, let us have a look at the list of equipment that a warehouse should have.
#1. Lift Equipment – Whether you are moving small units of inventory or moving pallets, it is crucial to have the right lifting equipment to increase productivity. Also, consider the height of the shelves while investing in a lifting machine.
Various lifting equipment are as follows:
- Pallet Jacks – Move and lift pallets electrically or manually.
- Forklifts – Limit the risk of product damage and injury.
- Service Carts – Pick and move inventory manually.
- Hand Trucks – Transport boxes and other equipment efficiently.
#2. Storage Systems – Every warehouse has different storage needs. Make sure to make selections based on the size and quantity of your stock.
Various storage systems available are:
- Industrial Shelving – It is used for hand stacked inventory that is not stored on pallets.
- Pallet Racks – It is a storage system for inventory placed on pallets.
- Flow Racks – It makes use of gravity to move hand-stacked inventory to pick area.
#3. Conveyors – Conveyors are extremely helpful in moving products to their final destination.
Different conveyors are:
- Gravity Conveyor – It uses the power of gravity to transport products.
- Power Conveyor – Power of motor automates the transfer of goods.
- Flexible Conveyor – They compact when stored and expand when operated.
#4. Packaging equipment – Are you into the packaging and moving of products? Then you need packaging equipment to pack the good quickly and efficiently.
Various equipment for packing are:
- Stretch Wrap Machine – It wraps the protective film around goods for storage.
- Industrial Scale – It weighs products on pallets, in boxes, and in barrels.
- Packing Table – It sort, stack, and pack products for shipment.